The world of fashion is one that I never wish to visit. I wish to live there instead. An outsider’s view is tainted by flashbulbs and glitter. On the inside you can see the industry without its makeup on…

Jun 27, 2010

For the Love of....Faux Leather Jackets?


Todays question is the age old question of "tacky or trendy?" I, personally, have no tolerance of overweight, excessively tattooed, leather clad biker chicks. I think that tattoos are tacky and they make beautiful people look cheap. However, I do have a certain level of respect for a well cut leather jacket. I have seen some beautiful leather jackets on the racks at Neiman Marcus, Bloomingdales, and trendy boutiques like She or Three Sisters. I think that a leather jacket in tan or brown does wonders for your skin tone and a black jacket adds a rebel edge to girly ensembles. I have also seen faux leather (I hate the word pleather) that look and feel like the real thing. In these economic times not everyone can afford a 1000 dollar leather jacket, including me. So, is the fake leather jacket acceptable? Is a good leather jacket still a necessary staple for the Fall 2010 wardrobe?
Here are my thoughts on the matter. Fake leather is acceptable if it looks real, feels real, and is affordable. I don't believe you should drop 500 bucks on faux leather when for another hundred you can get the real deal. There is the moral side of the argument too, that a cow had to die for that jacket, but think about that while you eat your fillet mignon. As for this falls fashion, I think that jackets are one article of clothing that stays in style for multiple seasons. So this fall when you want to wear that adorable spaghetti strap dress but it's too chilly, grab that leather (or faux leather) jacket. It adds an edge without being goth or biker. For pale people, grab a chestnut or chocolate brown. Dark skin, be bold and try a tan jacket. If you think you can rock it, try black, but be warned it will wash you out if you very pale.

BTW: The jacket on the right is from She. We used it in our last fashion show and everyone adored it, the leather is so soft!

Hanii Y - Motorcycle Leather Jacket w/ Cutout Sleeves, Light Beige


Hope that Helped,
XOXOXOXO
Megzi

No comments:

Post a Comment