The world of fashion is one that I never wish to visit. I wish to live there instead. An outsider’s view is tainted by flashbulbs and glitter. On the inside you can see the industry without its makeup on…

Jul 20, 2010

That Word...

Affordable

In the world of fashion the word "affordable" is often considered a dirty word. After all, why would you buy a cotton sweater for twenty dollars at Old Navy that will last one season, when you could have a hundred dollar cashmere or merino sweater from Nieman's that will last forever but you'll probably only wear for one season? I would love to live in a world where I could buy hundred dollar sweaters and not blink an eye, but I don't. So I must improvise with a guide to affordable basics and staples that will look great without breaking the bank.


Step One: The Perfect Jeans for the Perfect Price

I love Delia's for jeans and tank tops. You can get a pair of jeans for forty bucks and they'll last for two or three years. Be warned, they do shrink, but they have quite a few lengths for inseems and if you just buy one length too long, they'll be fine. This season, I am in love with the dark rinse, low rise, Reese, bootcut jeans. The dark rise and the cut of the legs make your legs look longer and slimmer. Flare and skinny jeans often make your thighs look bigger (unless your blessed with perfect legs). Shown Left


I usually don't like skinny jeans, but Alloy is the place to get a pair if you like them. For thirty dollars you can buy a pair of Paris Blues in a dark rinse (light wash skinny jeans should be illegal). A word of advice, tall girls look better in skinny jeans, they make long legs look longer and short legs look stubbier. Shown Right


Step Two: Perfect Sweaters for all Occasions

In Chicago, you learn to respect the perfect sweater. They are the perfect winter staple for anyone that lives in the north or vacations for a ski resort or winter wonderland. I love The GAP for sweaters because they're cheap and cozy. This winter, everything is "boyfriend" style. Boyfriend jeans, boyfriend jackets, boyfriend t's, and my new fave--the boyfriend sweater. Thirty dollars, cotton/nylon/silk, variety of colors, slouchy and chic...PERFECT! Shown Right

I LOVE CARDIGANS!!! The cardigan is the perfect thing for winter, spring, and fall. They come in a ton of colors and styles. Printed or solid. Two tone or double colored.  I am in love with the Delias varsity cardigans. It's fifty dollars, which is kind of spendy on a cardigan, but Delias does a ton of sales so you can get it for cheaper. Cardigans are great because you can wear them with jeans, skirts, or dresses. A cardigan can be casual or formal, they're great. I think that nothing is cuter than a plain cardigan, with perfect jeans, and a cute camisole. Shown Left



Step Three: Versatile Dresses 

The Little Black Dress...Everyone has one. It's almost a coming of age thing. When I started high school my mom bought me two little black dresses and I found a way to wear them all the time. Whether it was for the homecoming dance, my a Capella singing group, or a dress for school that I dressed down with colored tights and suede boots, the little black dress always served me well. Lately is seems like every store and designer is trying to make their own version of the little black dress. Fitted, loose, lacy, pleated, ruffled, sequined, bedazzled, jersey, silk, wool, cotton, chiffon...there are sooooo many options. The little black dress can be sexy or sassy, casual or formal, even modest and sophisticated. For the perfect sexy, one shoulder number, check out Forever 21 for a 20 dollar bandage dress. Shown Left. If you want a more casual look, check out this eyelet dress from Delias for fifty dollars. Shown Right

Florals are very in this season. Last years hard rocker look is softened this year by adding florals. Instead of the shredded jeans, sequined top, and black leather jacket of last years trends, this year take that same leather jacket and add it to a floral dress. I love this chiffon dress from Forever 21. It's 27 dollars and a great investment. Try it with a cardigan or jacket and you'll have a fall look. Add some tights and heels and it's a great winter look for any occasion. Shown Below


Step Four: Basic Tops & Tanks

Alloy has this great deal where you can buy any of about twenty tops and tanks for a great prince: two for thirteen dollars each or three for ten dollars each. There are a ton of colors and styles and are a total must buy.



Step Five: Not Your Mama's Blazer

I love blazers! When I was in middle school all the other girls were wearing juicy sweatshirts with their Abercrombie jeans and tank tops, while I was styling a black blazer with mine (partially because I couldn't afford Juicy and my dad didn't want his sixth grade daughter walking around with "Juicy" written on her butt). Right now, I'm digging the classic cut and the boyfriend style blazer. Navy, black, brown, and tan are the best for blazers, but I love trying new things like corduroy, suede, cotton, or denim. I'm not quite sure how I feel about velvet blazers (though, I have seen some people pull them off). GAP has some great blazers for about a hundred dollars in lightweight wool. Shown Left. I love the black, tied front, Forever 21 blazer, and it's only 32 dollars (BARGAIN!). Shown Below. Or for sixty bucks, try Delia's for a grey tweed blazer. Shown Right







Hope this helps with your fall wardrobe

XOXO
Megzi

No comments:

Post a Comment